Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Belated: Arola's Piece

"...just because technology is seamlessly woven into their lives does no mean they are technologically savvy." ~Arola

In response to that, I think:

Um, Word.

True 'dat.

I'm case in point and from my limited experiences, my students also feel ill-equipped to use technology, at least in educational settings and for educational purposes. Though to remedy or rectify this situation, there is no other way to combat this, to rectify this problem than to encourage "playing" with multmodality and digital media. Because clearly, technology is here to say and digital media and multimodalities will only continue to grow ever more complex and varied.

One of the points that this piece made, that I need to take heed of, is in the limiting factors when using templates. As a technologically stubborn person, I can understand that there is a downside to templates. Too often when using templates I over-rely on them; they're certainly a crutch for me. It makes sense that they would limit creativity and innovation on a larger scale. I found the examples of facebook compared to myspace an illustrative, and it's all the more reason to get out of my comfort zone to expand ideas of form beyond templates.

From Dr. RM's class, I had read a piece about "contact zones" (Bruce Pratt) in relation to Indigenous classrooms and Decolonial pedagogy, so it was interesting to reflect on this premise from a linguistic and how it pertains to interface, and the digital realm. Too often I think of linguistic matters and contact zones, pertaining to social interactions, forgetting that technology does not limit all social engagements. On the contrary, they can also promote them. And not just related to social media and playing, but in terms of academics as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment