Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Week of September 7, 2015

Jason Palmeri's claim really challenged me to rethink my attitude and approach in the use of technology, digital media, hypertext, multimodality, etc, within my Composition Classroom. I agree with his point that too often instructors are under prepared or trained to use technology within the classroom, and consequently, there must be greater effort, time, attention and incentives for educators to learn these programs so they may compliment composition pedagogy, and consider philosophically how the two may harmoniously co-exist.

However, it is an even greater detriment if Composition instructors (squirm. Note to self) were to not consider the ways in which computers and technology can offer multimodes of learning, and ones that may better illustrate and/or provide more efficient tools for Composition students, especially considering how the writing process is so largely recursive.

As I read on, I found myself cringing and shrinking a bit in my seat, considering the ways that I am/have been guilty of ignoring technology in the classroom and its potential to promote growth and further student development in Composition studies. Though the reasons why I've shied away do make sense, as they largely stem from fear and insecurities, feeling of inadequacy and incompetency, I also think that this has become an increasingly easy excuse for me. I have used my technological illiteracy and inabilities and time spent living abroad as an excuse to shy away from growing or developing in both my own knowledge and practice, and by extension, I have limited by students as well.

As a teacher, philosophically speaking, I believe that educators have a hard job in catering to many different levels and types of learners. In theory, I believe that the most effective teachers can comprehend, account for, make amendments in their classes for multiple types of learners. As such, I really ought not to discount technology. Primarily because, I realize that, if I continue to do so, I will only aid in making Composition classes seem antiquated and out of touch with my students' day to day reality and ever more irrelevant to their future digital world.

No comments:

Post a Comment